Thank you for your interest!

Add free and premium widgets by Addwater Agency to your Tumblelog!


To hide the widget button after installing the theme:

  1. Visit your Tumblr blog's customization page (typically found at http://www.tumblr.com/customize).
  2. Click on Appearance.
  3. Click Hide Widget Button.
  4. Click on Save+Close.

For more information visit our How-To's page.

Questions? Visit us at tumblr.addwater.com

[close this window]

Sewing a Faux gDiaper

Edited 10/29/12- Full tutorial post on how I make these can be found here: http://cateyedkp.tumblr.com/post/34006790564/upcycled-faux-gdiaper-tutorial

Edited 10/13/12- I have realized many errors with how I put this together, after trying it on my friend’s son. See the above link to how I make them correctly!

I am the type of person who goes into new phases of my life only after careful contemplation and research. I need to feel comfortable before I can even consider something seriously.  Before getting engaged, I did a lot of surfing on jewelry websites, wedding sites, etc. It was not a phase of life that I knew anything about.  I never thought I’d get married.  I had never dreamed of a ring or a dress, or any of the other crazy that goes along with getting married.  I had only ever attended one wedding as an adult.  So I did a lot of research before feeling comfortable taking that next step.

I feel like I am in a similar stage right now.  I am not yet a parent, but I know that it is a life phase that I hope to undertake within the next couple of years. Subsequently, I have been doing a lot of research on pregnancy, labor and delivery, and caring for a baby.  One of the things this research has led me to is cloth diapering.

I really feel like cloth diapering is going to make sense for us.  They are economical both on the environment and (more importantly) on the wallet. My dude and I are probably going to be just about as poor as we are today when we start our family, so saving money wherever possible will be key. Cloth diapers save money in the long run over disposables, but the initial investment can be a little staggering.  

I love to make things, so I began to wonder if I could actually make a successful cloth diaper myself.

As with most of my projects, once I get something in my mind, it becomes a challenge.  I have to do it.  The one drawback? I don’t have access to a tiny human, since no one in my family has a baby. So how would I know if it fits? Or works? A DIY project for me is only a success if you really can’t tell the difference between what I made and the real deal. If it isn’t store quality, I’m not happy.

Enter Jane.  Jane is a person I admire very, very much.  I have the pleasure of working with her on the board of The Portland Players, and she is truly a kick ass chick.  She has a 3-month-old tiny human, and already uses cloth diapers!  To my utter shock, she did not laugh at me when I told her about my research.  She even brought me two of her gDiapers so I could look at them in person.

She agreed to let me test out my diapers on her little one, and boy do I hope they work!  Once I knew they could be a gift for her, as well as a trial, I decided to bite the bullet and go for it!

I used this pattern online. One thing the woman says on it is that her baby has “fat” thighs. Jane’s little one has very skinny thighs.  I thought I might be able to address that with adjustable leg elastics.  I added snaps to the elastic in 1 inch increments, but now that it is all together, I think button hole elastic would have been better. As it stands, the snaps hang over if it is snapped on a smaller setting, and I don’t like the idea of them floating around.  Thankfully, since the leg casings are open, I could easily switch this out for a 1 sized elastic if it is a problem.

After making a mostly successful prototype yesterday, today I was able to make one that I am very happy with. The pattern I used called for the inside edges of the lining under the waistband to be left raw, which I didn’t like.  I was able to roll them under and seam the raw edge so it doesn’t really show on the front, but looks much nicer inside.  I hope it works!

The inside:

The outside:

The liner next to the cover. The liner is the part I am most curious about.  It’s made of PUL with a fold over elastic sewn around it.  I’ve read conflicting reports of whether this will be leak-proof or not. I used a very small needle with polyester thread, so I guess we’ll have to see!

The liner snapped in:

Closed from the front:

Closed side view:

And on my only available model, my childhood bear, Jody.

Mission accomplished.  I’ll let you know how it works once Jane has tried it out!

  1. cateyedkp posted this
About Me

I'm KP, and I make things. I am a theater artist, DIYer, photography enthusiast, and cat-eye-bespeckled cat lady.








SEARCH